Sell at the Shipshewana Livestock Auction
The Shipshewana Livestock Auction was established in 1922 and is held every Wednesday, year-round as farmers from all over the Midwest come to trade hay, pigs, cows, sheep and goats.
10 am Hay
10:30 am Feeder Pigs
11 am Dairy Heifers / Dairy Cows
12:30 pm Feeder Cattle
2:30 pm Veal, Sheep, Lambs, Goats
4 pm Butcher Bulls and Cows, Fat Cattle
- Unloading: May be done anytime after 6:00 am on Wednesdays, up until sale time on Wednesday. If you need to unload on Tuesdays, please call ahead (260-336-6008) to make arrangements.
- Checks: may be picked up immediately following your sale in the livestock office on Wednesdays, or they will be mailed out the following morning. You may also make arrangements to pick up your check from the office the next day. We must have your complete name and address to issue checks.
- Hay: Sold by the ton. If you are selling hay, please bring a scale ticket into the Livestock Office to register prior to the sale.
- Trucking Service: Call the livestock office at 260-768-4129 for info on local trucking service. For Michigan cattle and horse trucking, call Gene Strong (Reading, Camden, Coldwater) at 260-463-6667, or John Braska (Charlotte) at 517-983-9862.
- Tags: All sheep and goats need Scrapie Tags. Get free tags by calling 1-866-873-2824 or visit www.eradicatescrapie.org. Shipshewana Auction will tag them for $2.00 per head, but we prefer you get your own tags and tag them before you bring them to the sale.
- Out-of-State Animals: Call the Indiana Board of Animal Health at 317-544-2414.
- Dairy Cows - Springers - Dairy Feeder Heifers (6 months or older) NEED TB Test Papers. Health Paper / Interstate Certificate would be good.
- Dairy Consultants - Questions about dairy cows? Call Tye Casey at 574-930-0450 or Joe Zehr at 574-825-9065.
- Livestock Appraisals: Call Keith Lambright 260-336-6008, or Gene Strong (MI) 260-463-6667
- Feeder Cattle: 3.5%, or a minimum of $15.00 per head
- Dairy: 4.5%, or a minimum of $50.00 per head
- Veal Calves: 4%, or a minimum of $10.00 per head
- Butcher Cattle: 1%, or a minimum of $20.00 per head
- Butcher Bulls: 4%, or a minimum of $50.00 per head
- Butcher Cows: 2.5%, or a minimum of $30.00 per head
- Feeder Pigs: 3%, or a minimum of $4.00 per head
- Sheep & Goats: $6.00 per head
- Hay / Straw / Wood: 6%
- Livestock Yardage Fee: 0.39%, or a minimum of $2.60 per head
- Feeder Pigs & Hogs Yardage Fee: 0.39%, or a minimum of $0.50 per head
- Tagging Fee: $0.30 per head