The Shipshewana Horse Auction is held every Friday, year-round. Horse lovers from all over the United States join us for our weekly auctions of driving, work, saddle horses, ponies, and tack. Special yearly horse sales are held on Good Friday and the Day After Thanksgiving.
Regular Horse Auction Schedule (Every Friday)
10:30 am: Tack
12:30 pm: Saddle horses, Ponies, Work Horses, Loose Horses, Driving Horses
Horse Sale Terms of Sale & Miscellaneous Info
- A Shipshewana Auction, Inc. buyer's number is required to make a purchase of all horse, tack, hay and livestock. It is $1.00 (cash only) to purchase a number for the first time or to get a new number card after our two-year cycle ends. For lost buyer cards, it is $2.00 to replace your card. You must be 18 years of age and have a state issued photo I.D. and valid phone number to obtain an auction buyer number. Please show your buyer number card when making purchases and when making payments.
- Terms of sale are cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. There is a 5% buyers premium on all purchases, but will be waived if you pay with cash or check. Checks will only be accepted from the individual whose name is associated with the buyer number used to make the purchase. All purchases must be paid for prior to the end of the sale. No exceptions.
- All purchases are subject to 7 percent Indiana Sales Tax without proof of your valid state Sales Tax ID # and completion of Indiana Form ST-105. (A Federal ID# is NOT the same as a Sales Tax ID#)
- Unless otherwise announced at the time of sale by the owner, there is no guarantee or warranty of any kind as to the soundness or condition of any animal sold through Shipshewana Auction, Inc. After the transaction of sale is complete of all animals sold or handled through this auction sale, Shipshewana Auction, Inc. assumes no further responsibility.
- Animals shall belong to the buyer when they leave the sales ring. All horses should be picked up immediately following the sale.
- Buyers and spectators are cautioned to be careful while on the grounds and while horses are being sold in the ring. Shipshewana Auction, Inc. or any of it's employees or representatives shall not be responsible for any accident that may occur to spectators, buyers, horses, equipment, or for loss by fire, theft, injury in any way or manner.
- Shipshewana Auction acts as agents only and will endeavor to protect the interests of both buyer and seller.
Horse Seller Information
- Horses may be brought in anytime after 6:00 pm on Thursday, up until sale time on Friday.
- All horses sold through the Shipshewana Auction must have an Equine Information Document.
- If you are unable to stay and watch your horse sell, you may want to write up a short story about your horse to be read by the auctioneer.
- We must have your complete name and address to issue checks. Seller checks will be mailed, or they may be picked up from the livestock office only after your horse has been paid for by the buyer.
- To auction tack, bring it in on Friday before 10:30 am, and take it into the ring to be sold.
Horse Sale Commission & Fees
Driving: $75.00 per head
Work: 5% with a minimum of $35.00 per head
Saddle Horses: 5% with a minimum of $35.00 per head
Loose Horses: $35.00 per head
Ponies: 5% with a minimum of $35.00 per head
Tack: 15% of gross sale
No Sale: Commission plus $3.00 yardage
Yardage Fee: 0.39% ($3.00 minimum per head)
The Shipshewana Good Friday Horse Sale and Day After Thanksgiving Horse Sale are special yearly events attracting hundreds of horse lovers from all over the country. These large events last well into the evening with up to 400 or more horses sold. Click here for more information on these special horse auctions.
Bruce's Tack Box
Bruce's Tack Box is a Full-service Tack Store located in the small building between the Auction Restaurant and Livestock Barn. They are typically open every Friday during the horse sale, and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during Flea Market season. Contact: 269-503-9123, or find them on Facebook.