5 Things for Men to Do in Shipshewana
Shipshewana has some unique places for men to enjoy the area's Amish Culture, flavors and special things to do. Here are just 5 of our favorite categories!
1. Fill Up on Hearty Food
Photo courtesy of the Blue Gate Restaurant
- Dig in to a large breakfast (bacon included) at Shipshewana's favorites like the Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery, the Auction Restaurant, or Country Corral.
- Fill up on Amish-style fried chicken or mashed potatoes at the 5&20 Country Restaurant or at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus.
- Slurp a frosted mug of old-fashioned homemade root beer at Wana Cup.
- Try the cinnamon caramel donuts from Rise N' Roll Bakery, aka "Amish Crack."
- Snack on giant soft pretzels from Ben's Soft Pretzels or JoJo's.
Side note - You may be thinking...where's the beer? Well, believe it or not, Shipshewana is a dry town. However, that doesn't mean there aren't drinks nearby! You may want to check out these spots:
- Fireside Cafe Burgers & Brews - Lagrange, Ind.
- 41 Degrees North - Middlebury, Ind.
- Wedgewood Brewing Company (a "nano"brewery!) in Middlebury, Ind.
- Coppertop Tavern - Wolcotville, Ind.
2. Stock Up on Meat and Cheese
- Visit Yoder's Meat & Cheese for over 150 cuts of meat and 80 varieties of cheese.
- Sample the huge amount of cheese at Heritage Ridge Creamery.
- Shop E&S Bulk Foods Store, an Amish grocery, for unbeatable deals on meat, cheese and other bulk grocery items.
3. Enjoy the Town
- Shop Yoder's Shipshewana Hardware, one of the few remaining "old-fashioned" hardware stores.
- Check out the handmade leather belts, handbags, key chains, money clips and gun holsters at Silver Star Leather.
- Get an adrenaline rush by bidding at one of the auctions, like the weekly Shipshewana Miscellaneous & Antique Auction.
- Try the renowned tiny tender popcorn and the other many varieties of unpopped popcorn at Yoder Popcorn.
- Browse through the 4 acres of outdoor items including rustic log cabins, pergolas, gazebos, swings, chicken coops, storage barns, and mulch at Eash Sales.
4. Get Outdoors
- Take a bike ride on the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail
- Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle the Pigeon River or the Fawn River.
- Go golfing at Heron Creek Golf Club
- Check out the county's finest spots to go fishing, disc-golfing or hiking.
- Go on a 3-D Archery Trail with life-sized game targets.
5. Attend an Event or Concert
- Watch as farmers from all over the Midwest sell their hay, pigs, calves, sheep, goats and cows at the Shipshewana Livestock Auction.
- Watch professional bull riding or an equestrian show at the Michiana Event Center.
- Go to a bluegrass, Christian contemporary, or oldies concert hosted by the Blue Gate Theatre.