The Shipshewana Good Friday Horse Sale and Day After Thanksgiving Horse Sale are special yearly events attracting hundreds of horse lovers from all over the country. These large events last well into the evening with up to 400 or more horses sold (about 25-30 horses per hour). There is also a tack auction, a pony/mini auction, and a large number of vendors who set up and sell tack and miscellaneous items throughout the day.
March 30, 2018 - Good Friday Horse Auction
November 23, 2018 - Day After Thanksgiving Horse Auction
9:00 am: Horse Sale Begins in Horse Arena (Sale Order: Loose Horses, Driving Horses, Work Horses, Saddle Horses)
9:00 am: Tack Sale Begins in Misc. & Antique Building (Up to 5 Rings)
3:00 pm: Pony Auction Begins in Misc. & Antique Building
Terms of Sale & Miscellaneous Info
- A Shipshewana Auction, Inc. buyer's number is required to make a purchase of all horses, ponies, and tack. It is $1.00 (cash only) to purchase a number for the first time or to get a new number card after our two-year cycle ends. For lost buyer cards, it is $2.00 to replace your card. Buyer numbers can be obtained in the livestock office or miscellaneous office on special sales. You must be 18 years of age and have a state issued photo I.D. and valid phone number to obtain an auction buyer number. Please show your buyer number card when bidding and making payments.
- Terms of sale are cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. There is a 5% buyers premium on all purchases, but will be waived if you pay with cash or check. Checks will only be accepted from the individual whose name is associated with the buyer number used to make the purchase. All purchases must be paid for prior to the end of the sale. No exceptions.
- All horse and pony purchases must be paid for in the livestock office. Tack purchases may be made in the Misc. & Antique Building office during special sales.
- All purchases are subject to 7 percent Indiana Sales Tax without proof of your valid Sales Tax ID # and completion of Indiana Form ST-105. (A Federal ID# is NOT the same as a Sales Tax ID#)
- Unless otherwise announced at the time of sale by the owner, there is no guarantee or warranty of any kind as to the soundness or condition of any animal sold through Shipshewana Auction, Inc. After the transaction of sale is complete of all animals sold or handled through this auction sale, Shipshewana Auction, Inc. assumes no further responsibility.
- Animals shall belong to the buyer when they leave the sales ring. All horses should be picked up immediately following the sale.
- Buyers and spectators are cautioned to be careful while on the grounds and while horses are being sold in the ring. Shipshewana Auction, Inc. or any of it's employees or representatives shall not be responsible for any accident that may occur to spectators, buyers, horses, equipment, or for loss by fire, theft, injury in any way or manner.
- Shipshewana Auction acts as agents only and will endeavor to protect the interests of both buyer and seller.
- Horses are sold in numeric order by the category they are consigned in. To pre-register your horse and secure a seller number (optional), call the Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market at 260-768-4129. Sale order spots are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a $25.00 per tag consignment fee to pre-register. This fee must be paid by credit card at the time of reservation in order to secure the desired available tag number/sale order spot. The $25.00 is in addition to commission and other sale fees.
- Horses may be brought in anytime after 6:00 pm on Thursday, up until sale time on Friday.
- Horses sold through the Shipshewana Auction should have an Equine Information Document. Bring the document with you, or you can fill it out when you get here. (Download a PDF of the Equine Information Document.)
- If you are unable to stay and watch your horse sell, you may want to write up a short story about your horse to be read by the auctioneer.
- Sellers may refuse the sale of a horse. You must be present and refuse as soon as the horse sells. No sale fee is $38.00 (commission plus $3.00 yardage fee).
- We must have your complete name and address to issue checks. Seller checks will be mailed, or they may be picked up from the livestock office only after your horse has been paid for by the buyer.
- To auction tack, bring it in on Friday from 5:30 am to 9:00 am to the Misc. & Antique Auction Building, and take it into the ring to be sold. We must have your complete name and address to issue checks.
- To be a set up as a vendor, please see vendor information below.
Commission & Fees:
- Horses & Ponies: 5%, or a minimum of $35.00. + yardage.
- Yardage Fee: 0.39% or a minimum of $3.00 per head.
- No Sale: $38.00
- Tack: 15% of gross
- Coggins Testing: Coggins testing will be done on Good Friday and Black Friday sales. If you need one, it will be taken the day of the auction for $25.00. Coggins tests will only be pulled on horses SOLD. If you No Sale your horse you will not have to pay for a coggins test.
Vendor Information for Special Sales
- Vendors may set up on an indoor or outdoor space during our special sales. Spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis, or reserved in advance by calling 260-768-4129.
- If reserved space is not occupied by 8:00 am, no refund is allowed and the space may be re-rented. You may call us to cancel your space by 4:00 pm Thursday to receive a 50% refund or credit.
- Special approval by Shipshewana Auction, Inc. management is needed to sell any food, confection or beverage item.
- Shipshewana Auction, Inc. reserves the right to reject any article being offered for sale by vendors and assumes no responsibility for damaged or stolen property.
Vendor Rates & Spaces
|Inside Space (in Misc.& Antique Auction Building)
||10' x 10'
||approx. 12' x 20'
|Sale of dogs/small animals
There’s always something exciting happening at Shipshewana. Browse our upcoming events, and book a room today so that you don’t miss out on your favorite event!