The Shipshewana Good Friday Horse Sale and Day After Thanksgiving Horse Sale are special yearly events attracting hundreds of horse lovers from all over the country. These large events last well into the evening with up to 400 or more horses sold (about 25-30 horses per hour). There is also a tack auction, a pony/mini auction, and a large number of vendors who set up and sell tack and miscellaneous items throughout the day.
November 25, 2016 - Day After Thanksgiving Horse Auction
April 14, 2017 - Good Friday Horse Auction
Good Friday & Day After Thanksgiving Special Sale Schedule
9:00 am: Driving Horses, Work Horses, Saddle Horses (in that order) @ Livestock Auction Arena
9:00 am: Tack Auction (Up to 5 Rings) @ Miscellaneous & Antique Auction Building
3:00 pm: Pony/Mini Auction
- Horses are sold in numeric order by the category they are consigned in. To pre-register your horse and secure a seller number (optional), call the Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market at 260-768-4129. Sale order spots are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a $25.00 per tag consignment fee to pre-register. This fee must be paid by credit card at the time of reservation in order to secure the desired available tag number/sale order spot. The $25.00 is in addition to commission and other sale fees.
- Horses may be brought in anytime after 6:00 pm on Thursday, up until sale time on Friday.
- Horses sold through the Shipshewana Auction should have an Equine Information Document. Bring the document with you, or you can fill it out when you get here. (Download a PDF of the Equine Information Document.)
- If you are unable to stay and watch your horse sell, you may want to write up a short story about your horse to be read by the auctioneer.
- Sellers may refuse the sale of a horse. You must be present and refuse as soon as the horse sells. No sale fee is $38.00 (commission plus $3.00 yardage fee).
- We must have your complete name and address to issue checks. Seller checks will be mailed, or they may be picked up from the livestock office only after your horse has been paid for by the buyer.
- To auction tack, bring it in on Friday from 5:30 am to 9:00 am to the Misc. & Antique Auction Building, and take it into the ring to be sold. We must have your complete name and address to issue checks.
- To be a set up as a vendor, please see vendor information below.
Commission & Fees:
- Horses & Ponies: 5%, or a minimum of $35.00. + yardage.
- Yardage Fee: 0.39% or a minimum of $3.00 per head.
- No Sale: $38.00
- Tack: 15% of gross
- Coggins Testing: Coggins testing will be done on Good Friday and Black Friday sales. If you need one, it will be taken the day of the auction for $25.00. Coggins tests will only be pulled on horses SOLD. If you No Sale your horse you will not have to pay for a coggins test.
- All horse, pony and tack auction buyers should apply for a buyer number prior to bidding. Buyer numbers can be obtained in the livestock office or miscellaneous office on special sales. It is $1.00 (cash only) to purchase a buyer number card for the first time or to get a new number card after our two-year cycle ends.
- For lost buyer cards, it is $2.00 to replace your card.
- You must be 18 years of age and have a state issued photo I.D. and valid phone number to obtain an auction buyer number.
- Please show your buyer number card when making purchases and when making payments.
- All horse and pony purchases must be paid for in the livestock office. Tack purchases may be made in the Antique & Miscellaneous Building office during special sales.
Terms of Sale
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.
- There is a 5% buyers premium on purchases, which is waived if paying with cash or check.
- Purchases must be paid for the day of the sale. Charges are not permitted. Any bills not settled by end of sale will incur charges.
All purchased horses must be picked up immediately following the sale.
Vendor Information for Special Sales
- Vendors may set up on an indoor or outdoor space during our special sales. Spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis, or reserved in advance by calling 260-768-4129.
- If reserved space is not occupied by 8:00 am, no refund is allowed and the space may be re-rented. You may call us to cancel your space by 4:00 pm Thursday to receive a 50% refund or credit.
- Special approval by Shipshewana Auction, Inc. management is needed to sell any food, confection or beverage item.
- Shipshewana Auction, Inc. reserves the right to reject any article being offered for sale by vendors and assumes no responsibility for damaged or stolen property.
Vendor Rates & Spaces
|Inside Space (in Misc.& Antique Auction Building)
||10' x 10'
||approx. 12' x 20'
|Sale of dogs/small animals
There’s always something exciting happening at Shipshewana. Browse our upcoming events, and book a room today so that you don’t miss out on your favorite event!