Date: Aug 25, 2016
6 Epic Labor Day Activities in Shipshewana, Ind.
You deserve a rest. Luckily, Labor Day Weekend is the perfect time to get away before you start preparing for the fall season. Come spend it with us in Shipshewana, where life is a bit simpler and the shopping is fantastic.
That's why I've put together this list of six fun-filled activities taking place over the long weekend in Shipshewana, Indiana.
1. Find a vintage treasure at the Shipshewana Antique Market on Saturday, September 3rd. More than 20 antique dealers will be set up outside the Trading Place Pavilion and Antique Mall selling furniture, primitives, jewelry, toys, collectibles, signs, dishes and more. Plus, be sure to shop the Antique Mall during their liquidation sale - see individual booths for awesome discounts on your favorite quality antiques.
2. Shop the bargains at the Midwest's Largest Flea Market. The Shipshewana Flea Market will be open for extended days for Labor Day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (September 5,6,7) from 8 am to 5 pm. Bring plenty of cash, and come prepared to walk! Vendors will be open rain or shine, and there is food on site. You can plan your trip by downloading the free mobile app which has the vendors listed. And be sure to participate in the Flea Market Scavenger Hunt to win a free Shipshewana Hat.
3. Get lost Labor Day weekend in the Shipshewana Corn Maze during their 2016 season opener! The corn maze is designed to pay a special tribute to the Indiana Bicentennial. The Shipshewana Corn Maze creates "family fun the original American way" with 17 acres of corn, 6.9 miles of trails and 3 unique mazes. Plus, there are lots of other fall activites for the whole family including a petting zoo, hay rides, and a human hamster track.
4. Watch the musical Josiah for President, presented by the Blue Gate Theatre. When former Congressman Mark Stedman throws in the towel on his presidential campaign, his only choice is to return to his home state and decide how to spend the rest of his life ... until he meets Josiah Stoltzfus, an Amish farmer from Pennsylvania.
5. See gigantic quilt-patterned gardens packed with 1,000,000+ blooms by traveling to see the Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail. 19 eye-popping gardens - each in a unique quilt-themed pattern - blanket the welcoming communities of Bristol, Elkhart, Goshen, Midlebury, Nappanee, Shipshewana & Wakarusa in a vibrant tapestry of color. Pick up a detailed map at the Lagrange County Visitor's Center.
6. Experience authentic Amish dining with Hoosier Banquets. Sit at the Amish family's table, and let them serve you a home cooked meal, family style. Meal options include traditional Haystacks or a full Thresher’s Meal, complete with homemade pie & ice cream. Later, they will join you for coffee and dessert and some good old round the table conversation. You may ask us any questions about the Amish way of living and their heritage. Call Hoosier Banquets for a reservation at 260-336-8533. Have a group? Book the amish dining experience with your stay at the Farmstead Inn.
Thinking of staying the night? Good idea. The Farmstead Inn is a beautiful Shipshewana hotel modeled after an Amish homestead and is conveniently located to all the excitement. Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend everyone!