5 Easy Steps to Turn Every Day Auction Finds Into Valentine Decor
Looking for the perfect DIY project to take some old blocks and make them something new? If so, this completely simple and fun DIY is perfect! Learn how to upcycle some pretty amazing live auction finds into home decor for Valentine's Day (or any other holiday for that matter).
Not everyone goes all out for Valentine's Day decor, but here at Shipshewana Antique Auction, we love it! Just check out our 3' wide Cherub (Point Proven? I think so!) This DIY is so simple that it can be done in as little as 20-30 minutes and you'll have the rest of the day to cook an amazing Valentine Dinner for your special someone!
Step 1 - Find your wooden blocks.
In our case, we found some pretty amazing vintage dominoes and toy wooden block at the weekly live auction here at Shipshewana Auction.
Step 2 - Gather your project supplies.
Must Have Supplies Include:
- Wooden blocks - a variety of shapes and sizes will make great displays.
- Paint brushes - both large and small for painting large surfaces and detail work.
- Acryclic paints - for this one we chose a variety of reds, pinks and whites.
- Embellishments - we selected a variety of string and ribbons.
Step 3 - Get Creative & Paint Away!
Paint any large areas for the base with the larger brushes. While waiting for those to dry, you can create your designs for the rest of your project. You can see that we chose to paint a variety of hearts and even added some text to the sides of blocks to look like books.
- Use other colors and designs to create holiday decor for any season.
- Have each member of your family paint a block for a decor piece that will be as meaningful as it is beautiful.
- Remember, there is no such thing as a mistake... if you have a major mishap with the paint, just let it dry and paint over it or chock it up to a truly one-of-a-kind piece of handmade art!
Step 4 - Add fun decorations!
We gathered a variety of ribbons and string and tied them in all directions to create a fun display with lots of character, adorning our newly painited wooden blocks with some fun and colorful extras.
Step 5 - Display!
Have fun with this one and make sure you display your new blocks with style. Get creative with how you stack them and use height to add some flare to your perfect new and totally easy DIY project everyone will be talking about.