The Shipshewana Horse Auction is held every Friday, year-round. Horse lovers from all over the United States join us for our weekly auctions of driving, work, saddle horses, ponies, and tack. Special yearly horse sales are held on Good Friday and the Day After Thanksgiving.
Regular Horse Auction Schedule
Every Friday, Year-round.
10:30 am: Tack
12:30 pm: Loose, Saddle Horses, Ponies
2:30 pm: Work Horses, Driving Horses
Horse Buyer Information
Buyer Numbers: All livestock, horse, tack, and hay auction buyers should apply for a buyer number prior to bidding in the livestock office. It is $1.00 (cash only) to purchase a number for the first time or to get a new number card after our two-year cycle ends. For lost buyer cards, it is $2.00 to replace your card. You must be 18 years of age and have a state issued photo I.D. and valid phone number to obtain an auction buyer number. Please show your buyer number card when making purchases and when making payments.
Terms of Sale: The Livestock Office accepts cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. There is a 5% buyers premium on purchases, which will be waived if you pay with cash or check. Purchases not paid for the day of the auction will be assessed a $5.00 service charge.
All horses purchased should be picked up immediately following the sale.
Horse Seller Information
- Horses may be brought in anytime after 6:00 pm on Thursday, up until sale time on Friday.
- All horses sold through the Shipshewana Auction must have an Equine Information Document.
- If you are unable to stay and watch your horse sell, you may want to write up a short story about your horse to be read by the auctioneer.
- We must have your complete name and address to issue checks. Seller checks will be mailed, or they may be picked up from the livestock office only after your horse has been paid for by the buyer.
- To auction tack, bring it in on Friday before 10:30 am, and take it into the ring to be sold.
Horse Sale Commission & Fees
Driving: $75.00 per head
Work: 5% with a a minimum of $35.00 per head
Saddle Horses: 5% with a minimum of $35.00 per head
Loose Horses: 5% with a minimum of $30.00 per head
Ponies: 5% with a minimum of $30.00 per head
Tack: 15% of gross sale
No Sale: Commission plus $3.00 yardage
Yardage Fee: 0.39% ($3.00 minimum per head)
The Shipshewana Good Friday Horse Sale and Day After Thanksgiving Horse Sale are special yearly events attracting hundreds of horse lovers from all over the country. These large events last well into the evening with up to 400 or more horses sold. Click here for more information on these special horse auctions.